Christmas Mincemeat Bars

I had been thinking about what recipe I could submit for the 2009 Geneabloggers Holiday Cookbook until something happened the other day. After that I knew it had to be the Christmas Mincemeat Bars.

I had written a post for Day 2 of the Geneabloggers Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories. The theme for the day was Holiday Food. While I was writing the post I remembered the Mincemeat Bars that my mother baked every year for Christmas. I inherited the cookbook she used but unfortunately the page with this recipe was missing. I decided to snap a picture of the book and include it in my post to see if anyone else out there had it. In less than an hour, Elizabeth at Little Bytes of Life sent me a message. She also inherited the cookbook from her mother and she scanned the missing page and sent it to me. What a great Christmas gift. As I told Elizabeth, because of her, my family will have my Mom's Christmas Mincemeat Bars for the first time in about 25 years. I baked them last night and they are as delicious as I remember. I guess mincemeat is one of those things that people either love or hate. My husband is not a fan but he just tried one and said ''Hmmm, I'm not gagging'' followed by ''Hmmm, pretty good".

How lucky Elizabeth, Janet, Gini, Carol and I are to have this treasure from our Mothers. I think we all know how much it means to us.

Christmas Mincemeat Bars

1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar (packed)
2 Eggs
2 tbsp Molasses
1 tbsp Soft Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Flavoring
2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Soda
1 tsp each Cinnamon and Cloves
3 tbsp Hot Water
1/4 cup Slivered Almonds
1/4 cup Seedless Raisins
1 pkg, 9 oz Mincemeat, broken up with fork (I used a little over a cup of Mincemeat from a jar)
1 1/2 cups Confectioner's Sugar
3 tbsp Hot Milk
1/2 tsp each Vanilla and Almond Flavoring

Heat oven to 400 degrees (moderately hot). Grease two oblong pans, 13 x 9 1/2 x 2''. Mix brown sugar, eggs, molasses, butter and vanilla thoroughly. Sift together flour, salt, soda and spices; stir in. Mix in hot water. Stir in almonds, raisins and mincemeat. Spread thin in greased pans. (Dough puffs and fills in any holes as it bakes.) Bake 12-15 min, or until no imprint remains when touched lightly with finger. Spread immediately with mixture of confectioner's sugar, milk and flavorings. Cut into squares or diamonds. Makes 6 doz, 2 x 1 1/2" bars.


1961 Betty Crocker Cookbook, Page 197

© 2009 Kindred Footprints

No comments:

Post a Comment